A very special someone sent me this link to a blog post by Amanda Strong at the Mindful Table on trends in food. Amanda was referencing an article in Marketing Magazine but since the MM website’s search function makes me pull my hair out I am unable to link to the original article (I tried to find it to no avail).
Amanda identifies five trends in food (I’m quoting her directly here):
1) Butcher rules: Expect a renewed interest in local meat and local butchers and people increasingly want to know where their food is coming from.
2) Fair Trade: Interest in fair trade food continues to rise despite a downward trend in organic foods.
3) Relaxation foods: Calming after-dinner digestifs and products to help people unwind will start replacing energy drinks.
4) Sense of simplicity: The economic downtown is creating nostalgia for simpler times and food, which is driving an interest in natural foods.
5) Serving nostalgia: Chefs and restaurants are returning to simpler, pure ingredients.