Google “social media” and the Wikipedia entry comes up first.
It says social media:
“are media for social interaction using highly accessible and scalable pubishing techniques. Social media uses web-based technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogues.”
But Wikipedia is wrong. Here are 9 ‘awesome’ definitions of social media:
- The group of web based things that saved the PR profession from going the way of dinosaurs
- The group of web based things that brought loads of losers out of their moms’ basements and turned them into internet superstars.
- A much hyped marketing channel who’s overall performance is still dubious, due to the difficulty in measuring its impact on the bottom line with any degree of rigor.
- The ‘next’ version of email marketing (remember how hyped that was).
- The collection of web based things that killed society’s attention span.
- A misunderstood group of tools that are driving Fortune 500 executives crazy.
- A marketing channel where ‘awesome’ is the most used word.
- Scary shit, because you have to keep feeding the beast.
- The thing that kept Ashton Kutcher relevant after that shitty retro show ended.
Have a great week!