It’s time consuming. It’s also highly unlikely that loads of people will consume what you produce.
But blogging is the straight bomb.
Please believe me.
If ya didn’t blog….
– You wouldn’t have a platform to publish your thoughts. This is a pretty empowering thing.
– You and your biz wouldn’t reap the SEO benefits of regular content updates. You would be less “knowable.”
– You’d miss out on the disciplinary benefits (to you) that regular blogging brings.
– You would miss out on the chance to organize your thoughts about various subjects.
– I think, and this may be just me, you would be less “up” on your industry/interest etc. I say this because I think regular production of content has serious mental benefits that we often overlook. Producing is harder than consuming and so often requires serious attention AND consumption as a prerequisite.
– You would not understand that the organization is now the media (at least to the extent bloggers do).
– The likelihood of you connecting with like minded people would diminish.
So that’s it. Get yer ass off the fence and make stuff. I don’t care if it is text, audio or video. Just publish. OK?
If you and your readers are interested, I wrote a similar “Why I Blog” retrospective a few days ago. It includes thoughts on why blog writing is better than book writing, in my view.
Here’s the link: http://www.jamesjdonnelly.com/2010/12/2010-reflections-%e2%80%9ci-now-know-why-i-blog%e2%80%9d/