That this happened just floors me (in a good way).
Here are few more facts and observations about the Queen’s brief encounter with former IRA chief, Martin McGuinness:
- This was shot with only one camera crew present. That’s all that was needed, so why bring more?
- Both McGuinness and the Queen, have taken/will take, a lot flak for this photo from their harder core factions. The nod to moderates and reason is impressive.
- No matter how bad you screw something, the message from this handshake is that it’s possible to mend fences. This is something too many businesspeople forget after a crisis or mistake.
- This says so much about how members at extreme, opposite ends of a system can be brought together, given time and the right processes.
- Maybe, just maybe, there’s hope.